Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pathetically Accurate Quote

I take three magazines by subscription. Relevant, FASTCOMPANY and Entertainment Weekly. I only get one magazine by subscription. For some reason FASTCOMPANY and Relevant either can't keep up their part of the bargain, the US Postal service just wants to make me crazy, or two said magazines just plain don't like me.

Anyway, there is a great quote in Mark Harris' column about the whole ugliness that is Chris Brown and Rhianna. The part of the quote I was drawn to wasn't really about this situation, but rather a commentary on our American culture. In describing Rhianna's path to fame Harris writes,

"She lived the American Idol dream and didn't even have to stand before the judges and make that most creepily self-absorbed of all American Idol arguments--the one that goes, I deserve this more than the next guy because I want it sooooo much. That line of reasoning, by the way, probably deserves to be inscribed on the tombstone of this decade as it limps toward its internment."

Too true. So how do we, as the church and individual followers of Christ, lead in writing the inscription on the tombstone of the next decade differently?

No comments: