Friday, April 10, 2009

Where are the attacks on Easter . . . oh, there it is.

So, I was thinking earlier this week that this year has seen a drought in books and news stories attacking Easter. You know, books or stories on the Gospel of Judas or the James Ossuary. It seems that every year around this time someone is looking to capitalize on Easter from a secular perspective (of course, there are plenty of Christian books that do the same but you would expect that). I am not so much bothered by the books themselves nor am I threatened by them. I know there are people that have differing viewpoints. The timing of their release is what bothers me. I understand it, it is just either annoying or obnoxious.

In terms of this trend, this year has seemed eerily quiet.

Then I ran across a book by Bart Ehrman just this week in Barnes and Noble. The title caught my eye (and of course it was on a display table because of Easter). The book is called Jesus Interrupted. I picked it up just long enough to roll my eyes (again, not because of the subject or perspective but because of the timing).

Well, Bart was on Colbert last night. Colbert, for those of you who don't know, has taught Sunday School at his church (Catholic if my memory serves me correctly. and, correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, here is the video:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Bart Ehrman
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest




Ben Witherington has a good review/critique of the book (long) that can be found here and here.

No comments: